I am not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with any hacker groups in any country or any of its subsidiaries or its affiliates. All information posted is merely for educational and informational purposes only. I do not condone any kind of physical/cyber attacks on anyone.
My thoughts on researching these attacks:
- Cyber warfare is extremely dangerous
- Promotes fear and confusion with citizens
- Destroys key infrastructure of a country
- Promotes cyber vigilantes which could cause more issues in the future
- DDoS attacks can be done by anyone with simple scripts from Github
- Wannabe cyber vigilantes will use these scripts in the future
- Securing domain controllers are vital
- Understanding Active Directory is important
- Anti-virus software can be bypassed
- Monitoring security logs and attacks takes up many resources
- Russia is suspected of using cyber attacks as the main weapon of war against Ukraine.
- Utilizing third party threat actors or APT
- Ukraine’s government and banks were hit by massive DDoS attacks.
- Wiper attacks were also used.
- Wiper attacks were also used in the attacks.
- Erase all data from the system that is has infected.
- This malware does not steal information but destroys it.
- Able to hack system recovery tool without leaving any footprints.
- According to security researchers the malware was dropped via Active Directory and was digitally signed to dodge anti-virus protection.
Past history cyber attacks on Ukraine
- NotPetya 2017 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petya_(malware)
- Power grid hack 2015 – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukraine_power_grid_hack
Ukraine’s call to arms (keyboards) for a public IT army
Call to launch DDOS attacks on the following websites.
Almost all of the above mentioned websites are down.
Call to shut down certain Youtube channels.
Leave a Reply